Saturday, December 19, 2015

19 December 2015 + Love Dare Day 19

Reading & Memorising Scripture

Scripture:

  • Psalm 51
Observations:

The instruction today is actually to take this passage and make it my own prayer. I'm kinda going to do that, but I'm going to break it down into elements first.
  1. Deal with me through your love and grace, O God, and deal mercifully with me
  2. Wash me from my sin
  3. I am aware of my sin and how I have sinned against you
  4. My very nature is sin, though you delight in  truth and give wisdom
  5. Cleanse me. Make me new, that I may rejoice and do not remove yourself from me
  6. Deliver me and I will point others to you
  7. I know what you desire in worship and will bring you such praise
Application:

To pray that

Prayer:

(In private)

~ ~ ~

The Love Dare
Day 19: Love is Impossible
"...[Y]ou cannot manufacture unconditional love (or agape love) out of your own heart."
I'm becoming aware of this. It's true. Everything I try to do in and of myself feels like wallpapering over the cracks. It's only through God that true love can come into my life and be extended to my wife.
"You can’t give what you don’t have.  You can’t call up inner reserves and resources that aren’t there to be summoned. ... So the hard news is this:  love that is able to withstand every pressure is out of your reach, as long as you’re only looking within yourself to find it.  You need someone who can give you that kind of love. ... [O]nly those who have received the Spirit of Christ through belief in His death and resurrection...are able to tap into love’s real power."
This kinda ties into the scripture passage above. The psalm actually has the title given to it, "Create in Me a Clean Heart". It's through Christ's renewing power that we are able to love genuinely and truly. Without him, we can only hope to do good things or be generally nice to each other. With him, we have hope for transformative love.

No comments:

Post a Comment