Sunday, December 20, 2015

20 December 2015 + Love Dare Day 20

Reading & Memorising Scripture

Scripture:

  • Matthew 5:27-30
Observations:

This passage serves to highlight both what sexual infidelity truly is and how severe our response should be.

I like how, in the ESV, verse 28 is translated "... anyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent..." (emphasis added). Here, Jesus is looking at the core, heart issue. Previously, the Jews defined adultery simply as physical marital infidelity.  Jesus is identifying adultery as a heart issue in which one desires to sexually possess or have an intimate encounter with an individual not your spouse (or anyone at all if you're not married). This can be physical intimacy, sexual intimacy, emotional intimacy, or spiritual intimacy. This can encompass intercourse, touch, exchanging of words, lingering glances, etc. Any intimate investiture, usually romantic or pseudo-romantic, in an individual who is not your spouse, in place of your spouse, is adultery. 

So, a man confiding information regarding his personal struggles to a female coworker instead of his wife? That could constitute the beginnings of emotional adultery, especially if the wife is unaware or has not given consent. Similarly, a private prayer meeting between a man and a woman could be cause for scrutiny. These type of cases don't necessarily start of with adultery in mind, but they very often can lead that way.

In verses 29 & 30, we see the severity with which Jesus urges us to take action against adultery, lustful thoughts, glances, and other adulterous interactions. No, do not literally cut out your eye or cut off your hand. If we did that, every man above the age of 12 would be a blind double-amputee, as would many women, if not all, by a certain point in life. 

However, we should see the necessity here. We need to cut out everything that enables us to sin. What actions do we take or thoughts do we have that lead us into sin? How can we mount an offense against them? How can we control our thoughts, our eyes, our actions? That's what this whole "Struggling with Sin" series has been about. Yes, it's my personal struggle, but the base concepts are the same. We need to:
  1. Confess our sins
  2. Cease conforming to the world
  3. Seek intimacy with Christ
  4. Sacrifice ourselves to God
  5. Worship God
  6. Thank and praise God
  7. Ask God for his strength to overcome
Dealing with sin is a long, hard road. It's not a straight line of smooth sailing. Some days I'm climbing up. Others, I'm taking a couple steps back. Some days, I look at what I've been through and rejoice, praising God. Others, I look at the mountain ahead of me and despair. The biggest thing to remember, though, is to keep our eyes on Christ and to constantly be moving towards him. Only then can we be certain of recovery and overcoming sin.

Application:

I need to re-check my plans and strategies. I need to evaluate where I've become lax and tighten back up. I also need to examine the areas in which I've told God, "Thanks for the help. I've got it from here." Lastly, I need to dig deeper in understanding and undermining the root issues underlying my sin
~ ~ ~

The Love Dare
Day 20: Love is Jesus Christ

I love it! today's passage talks about committing to Christ, accepting Jesus' salvation as the salve for our brokenness and relying on him to provide the ability to give the love we cannot of ourselves show.

No comments:

Post a Comment