Monday, December 14, 2015

14 December 2015 + Love Dare Day 14

Prayer
      6.  Thanking God

Scripture:

  • Colossians 4:2
Observations:

"Continue steadfastly in prayer, being watchful in it with thanksgiving."
This seems like such a simple passage.

Continue steadfastly in prayer... - Obviously, keep praying, but what does "Steadfast" mean? - To be resolutely or dutifully firm and unwavering. So, we need to be resolute, committed, disciplined, unceasing, indefatigable in prayer. That's the first part.

... being watchful in it with thanksgiving - I'm trying to put this one together. Other translations replace "watchful" with "alert" or "on guard". Some simplify it to not falling asleep while in prayer. I think it could mean something along the lines of being present or aware, not mentally checking out and focusing on other things. The key, then, to this, as Paul writes, is thankfulness.That makes sense to me. If I approach God with a spirit of thankfulness for the time he's given me, for the access of prayer, why would I take it lightly. Why would I take anything of God lightly, then?

Application:

Well, there are two sides of this coin. The first is to be more disciplined in my praying. To pray regularly and reliably. The second is to be more present in my prayer, not allowing myself to be distracted or treating prayer like a time sink, but to relish it for the opportunity it is.

~ ~ ~

The Love Dare
Day 14: Love Takes Delight

This segment is talking about leading your heart to love instead of letting your heart lead you with any present emotion.
"Instead, it’s time to lead your heart to once again delight in your mate.  Enjoy your spouse.  Take her hand and seek her companionship. Desire his conversation.  Remember why you fell in love with her personality.  Accept this person – quirks and all – and welcome him or her back into your heart."
I remember trying to do this early on into my recovery and I remember my wife telling me she loved it and missed it when, the following week, it disappeared because I was too stressed and busy to give it much thought. That's something I need to improve upon. I all too easily bottle my emotions up and never show what I'm feeling, which also means I never let my feelings out in a good, controlled manner. For my wife, then, it makes it difficult for her to feel treasured and it makes it difficult for me to delight in her, because I'm not allowing myself to feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment