Sunday, August 9, 2015

9 August 2015

Scriptures:

  • Mark 4:35-5:43
  • Jeremiah 35
  • Judges 19
  • Psalm 7
Observations:

Key verses:
  • Jeremiah 35:13-14
The Mark passage encompasses the storm on the sea of Galilee, the exorcism of a man of many demons into a herd of pigs, the healing of a woman with a blood disease, and the revival of a man's late daughter. In Jeremiah, we see the Lord bring forward an example of a family who has kept faithfully the directives of their ancestor and compare them to the rest of Judah, decrying their inability to follow the law He had given to them. In Judges, we see an account of the lawlessness during this period in Israel's history, that a man guesting in another's house would be demanded of for sexual favours to the point that he forced his concubine out into the street to face the mob. The psalm is one of pleading for God's protection from evil, asking his forgiveness, and rejoicing in His holiness and righteousness.

What stood out to me, largely, is the idea of belief and following versus sin and lawlessness. We see in Mark, Jesus' rebuke of the disciples for their unbelief and the healing of the bleeding woman for her faith. We see the commendation of the Recabites for their adherence to their ancestor, but the shaming of Judah for their disobedience of God. We see the lawlessness of the Benjaminites and the shame of the Levite, even into his misplaced indignation. We see David's plea for protection and his declaration of faith, a contrast to the Levite who sought to appease the mob at the expense of another, and his assurance of God's righteousness and the eventual comeuppance of the lawless.

Application:

I think, similar to yesterday, this is the reiteration of my dichotomy. I cannot serve two masters. It is either God or myself. even so, my head sees clearly what my heart willfully will not, that I must give up headship over my lie and back up what I say I believe, that I follow Christ. So, I must adhere instead to God over myself.

Prayer:

Lord, again, I see my failure. Thank you for your word and your mercy, which draws me to you. Give me a heart willing to do what my head sees is right. Give me a heart that desires you instead of myself. Lead me in the paths of righteousness for your name's sake, that my life would be an example to others of faith and dedication. I offer up my heart, clogged and dirty, though it is, that you may work on it. Renew me, Lord, that I would follow you willingly and excitedly for the rest of my life.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment