Saturday, August 15, 2015

15 August 2015

Scriptures:

  • Mark 12
  • Jeremiah 42-43
  • Ruth 4
  • Psalm 13
Observations:

In Mark, we see Jesus answering the challenges of the pharisees and sadducees in the temple, teaching about the kingdom of God, and teaching his disciples about the meaning of genuine worship. In Jeremiah, we see the remnant of Judah asking Jeremiah to seek God and ask what they shall do, but disbelieve his response after ten days of fasting, that they should remain in Judah, under Babylonian rule instead of heading south towards Egypt. In Ruth, we see Boaz's faithfulness to Ruth and Naomi; he sought out the individual who had the first right to inherit Naomi's property and marry Ruth, thus perpetuating the name of her father-in-law, Elimelech. This man, however, did not want to jeopardise his own sons' inheritance, permitted Boaz, the next in line for the role, to fulfill that responsibility. In the psalm, we see the psalmist, asking God if He has forgotten him. He asks God for his consideration and speaks of how, in the past, he has relied on God's faithfulness.

In the last three passages, I can see aspects of God's faithfulness. In Jeremiah, we see his faithfulness to answer, giving what Israel should do and the punishment, should Israel disobey. In Ruth, we see the faithfulness of God through the actions of Boaz. In Psalms, we see the psalmist seeking God, reminding Him of His faithfulness.

In Mark, the situation is more complex. We open with the parable of the tenants, showing the unfaithfulness of those entrusted with the work of the owner. We then see those presumed to be spoken against seeking to trap him with contextually-charged questions, before one scribe comes and asks a question of pure motives and receives a direct answer and is commended. We close with the men and women bringing tithes - the rich are bringing bags of money and one poor woman drops in two coins - the equivalent of a penny - and is commended, for what she brought was of greater relative worth.

What is faithfulness? It is more than honest dealing or straight talking. It is more than mere reliability or trustworthiness. In some ways it is a combiation of all of those. Dictionary.com defines it as follows:
Faithfulness

adjective

1. Strict or thorough in the performance of duty
2. True to one's word, promises, vows, etc
3. Steady in allegiance or affection; loyal; consistent
4. Reliable, trusted, or believed
5. Adhering or true to fact, a standard, or an original; accurate
6. (obsolete) Full of faith; believing
This is how we are called to be. Faithful, as God is faithful.

Prayer:

Lord, grow me in your faithfulness. Allow me to emulate you in this character as I interact with others around me. Help me to adhere to my duties and my word. Teach me about true loyalty and reliability. Fill me with faith in you and enable me to cling to your truth more and more each day.

I pray again for my wife, that you would give her rest today. That this weekend would be reviving and refreshing. Be with me as I study. Allow me to recall what I have learned these last two weeks as I revise what I know and seek to polish my memory. And, Lord, I ask that you would deal with our car situation.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment