Monday, August 10, 2015

10 August 2015

Scriptures:

  • Mark 6
  • Jeremiah 36
  • Judges 20
  • Psalm 8
Observations:

Verses that stand out
  • Mark 6:31-32
In the Mark passage, we see the sending out of the disciples, the beheading of John the Baptist, and the feeding of the 5000. What's interesting to me is we also see Jesus' command to his disciples that they all find a "desolate" place to rest and recover. In Jeremiah, we see Baruch reading Jeremiah's scroll in the temple and before the elders, and the elders reading it before Jehoiakim as he cut pieces off and burned it. In Judges, we see the other 11 tribes of Israel rallying against Benjamin for the actions of the Benjaminites in the previous chapter. What's interesting is they sought the Lord 3 times, before each battle, losing the first two mightily before routing their foe mightily on the third. The Psalm is praising God for his majesty.

So, I'll be honest, I don't see a recurrent Idea or theme, as in the last two days, but a bunch of separate observations. I see the importance of rest in Mark, the importance of seeking God and following his instruction, even if at first it seems contrary, in Jeremiah and Judges, and a reminder to praise God in Psalms. As a medical student, I can definitely understand the first. As someone in ministry, the second is something I am sometimes slow to do - I tend to act first and pray later. As someone who leads worship and engages in worship daily (worship is more than the singing of songs, but a lifestyle of desiring to honour God with the entirety of one's being)

Application:

Well, I think the first and most important part is the rest - something which I am learning now to do better. So, its encouragement for me to take good time aside each morning and give it over to God and rest in him, seeking his direction, and following him, giving praise through my actions. In a sense, these passages are an abstract guide to my days.

Prayer:

Lord, I thank you for this time. I thank you for the rest that you set aside from the beginning in our weekly schedules. I ask that this time of rest before the business of today would refresh me and arm me for today. I ask for your guidance today. Help me to see the way I should go. Thank you for your Lordship and rulership over my life and over this world. 

Be with my wife today as she works; be with my classmates and professors. Guide and protect us as we go about the work given to us for today.

Be with the various missionaries serving overseas. Some are in need of your protection, others in need of a reminder of your grace and your calling. Give them heart against the weapons of Satan, that the would boldly go and spread your word to the nations.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment