Thursday, August 13, 2015

13 August 2015

Scriptures:

  • Mark 10
  • Jeremiah 39
  • Ruth 2
  • Psalm 11
Observations:

  • Mark 10:6-10
In the Mark passage, we see Christ teaching about divorce and marriage, the interaction with the rich man wanting to know how to attain eternal life, and the nature of servant leadership. In Jeremiah, we see the Lord come through and fulfill his declarations against Jerusalem - it falls and Zedekiah, running away, is captured and blinded. What stands out is that Ebed-Melech, the Ethiopian responsible for helping him in yesterday's passage, is given a promise from God of his survival when Jerusalem is fully sacked. In Ruth, we see the Lord's provision for Ruth and His reward for her faithfulness in bringing her to the field of distant family and having him look after and provide generously for her. The Psalm today speaks of the righteous and their testing by God and the wicked and their punishment.

So, I know the Mark passage I highlighted is talking specifically about divorce, but I want to extend that a little bit. "What God has brought together, let no man separate." There are many ways to separate a husband and wife, but they all start with temptation and sin. There is the temptation on the part of one to feel some kind of distance, or think, look, or act lustfully about another, That begins the split that can end in divorce. I write this as a caution to others after seeing the effect of a similar sin in my marriage after confessing it. I thank God for a godly wife who seeks God above me, who took a couple days to seek Him and give Him glory even where I did not. As in Jeremiah and Ruth, I see that as God's provision to me for seeking Him immediately and confessing to Him as well as confessing to her that same day. Even though I sinned, He made himself available when I came seeking forgiveness and change. In this, in part, I see how God tests and separates the righteous from the wicked - the righteous come in their sin, seeking forgiveness, that they may turn and strive to become more like Christ; the wicked do not seek forgiveness and, if they do, it is so that they may have a lighter conscience before turning back to their own sin.

Application:

I must not take my marriage lightly. This is both a holy and heavy covenant that I have made. I am called to lover her as Christ did the church. Never once did Christ stray, did he wish he hadn't been sent or wish he'd been sent to another. I need to be on guard against the temptation to act against my wife. This is something that requires effort on my part, but cannot be done completely on my own strength.

Prayer:

Lord, I thank you for the ways you have been undeservedly gracious to me. I tank you for my wife who seeks to honour you above me or herself. I thank you for your Holy Spirit, who serves to convict against sin and the forgiveness you give to cover my sin. I thank you for your strength and endurance, which allow me to fight beyond what I am able to in my own strength.

I ask that you would guard me today. Keep me vigilant against temptations that would lead me astray. Keep my thoughts clear - permit me not to think or look lustfully, but be present in my every thought that I would not sin against you or my wife. I am reminded of one of the prayers of St. Patrick:

"Christ be with me, Christ within me
Christ behind me, Christ before me
Christ beside me, Christ to win me
Christ to comfort and restore me
Christ beneath me, Christ above me
Christ in quiet, Christ in danger
Christ in the hearts of all who love me
Christ in mouth of friend and stranger"

I ask that you would cover me all around.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment