Monday, August 17, 2015

17 August 2015

Scriptures:

  • Mark 14
  • Jeremiah 46-47
  • 1 Samuel 2:12-36
  • Psalm 15
Observations:

In Mark, we see the woman anointing Jesus with perfume ad the latter half of passion week - from the last supper to the denial of Peter. In Jeremiah, we see prophesied, the clashes between Babylon and Egypt, with Egypt's defeat. We also see the fall of Philistia. In 1 Samuel, we see the sins of Eli's sons and God's prophesying of the end of his house, because of his poor discipline, for one in a priestly role. The Psalm extols the character of one whom God loves.

I don't really see a common thread through these passages, but they are all good reminders. The Mark passage is good, because we should never forget what Christ went through en route to the cross. Jeremiah is good, because it illustrates God's punishment of His people's enemies and how He uses others as tools to exact this punishment.  The Samuel passage gives us a picture of ungodliness, as these two priest are wantonly engaged in sinful, prideful practices., where the psalm provides a good counterpoint of what God actually loves.

Application:

What I take away is that, above all else, I should honour God first. It is very easy to become focused on myself, doing my thing or becoming absorbed in my worries, and not stop to seek God above all else, before doing anything else.

Prayer:

Lord, this has been a full weekend - studying, car battery situations, youth group and church, more trying to fit studying in. It's really easy for me to focus on myself and what is on my plate, but help me to focus on you, first. Help me to shift my perspective off of myself and see you.

That being said, Lord, I ask that you would help me with my test today. Help me to recall what I have learned and studied.

Thank you for your provision and rest.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment