Thursday, August 20, 2015

20 August 2015

Scriptures:

  • 1 Peter 1:1-12
  • Jeremiah 50
  • 1 Samuel 5:1-7:2
  • Psalm 18
Observations:

In 1 Peter, we see Peter praising God for his mercy and salvation, encouraging the early church to endure the trials that will come also. In Jeremiah, we see the fall of Babylon prophesied. It's a long prophecy, but we need to remember that Babylon did much that was evil in God's eyes, The passage was also partly to encourage the Jews to head home. The Samuel passage is one of my favourites, in which God shows Himself to be stronger than Dagon, the god of the Philistines and wreaks such punishment on them that they send the ark back to Israel. The psalm is praising God for his refuge and defence, as well as for his strength, which he imparts to those who seek him.

I really see a sense of God's might as a common theme. We have the psalm and the 1 Peter passage extolling God for his mercy and salvation as well as his steadfastness, power, and refuge. We get the idea that God is the one we run to in times of stress or trial. In Jeremiah and 1 Samuel, we see the flip side of the coin. First, we see his power over the earth and its nations. Second, we see his power of the gods, which men make for themselves. 

Praise be to God who is mighty and powerful, who shelters us from the trials and storms, and who equips and strengthens us to fight. May we always run to him in times of need.

Application:

I really don't quite know how to apply this beside trusting in God more to protect and guide. I know in many ways I already lean on God often, but there are areas which I like to keep hold of the reins on. 

Prayer:

Lord, I see your power and provision. Help me to trust that you are good, that you are working in all things for my benefit. Help me to hand the reins over all of my life to you, not just most of them. It's going to take some work, learning how to do that, but I feel it will definitely be worth the growing pains.

I thank you for what you have done in my own life and my wife's life. I ask that you would give confirmation on what we perceive to be your calling for her.

Be with our friends as they push through the adoption process and wait for some response.

I thank you and praise you

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment