Friday, August 21, 2015

21 August 2015

Scriptures:

  • 1 Peter 1:13-2:3
  • Jeremiah 51
  • 1 Samuel 7:3-17
  • Psalm 19
Observations:

The 1 Peter passage is about how we, as Christians, should be living. I see a definite emphasis on being holy and craving a deeper spiritual relationship with God. I also see encouragement to stay away from the sins of this world. The Jeremiah passage is a prophecy of vengeance against Babylon for their violence against Israel and the temple. In the Samuel passage, we see the establishment of Samuel as a judge. We also see his dedication to driving Israel towards God. The psalm is praising God for his handiwork.

I can see a definite connection between both 1 Peter ans 1 Samuel. Samuel's driving call in this passage is "repent" and "abandon your idols". Peter's driving call is "be holy" and "do not be as the world is". They line up, though, as baals and asherahs were idols common to the region that Israel adopted from other peoples. Psalm 19 gives us an idea of what our response should be: praising God for everything - the rising and setting of the sun, the very word of God, and his commandments.

It's always hard to merge a prophet speaking of destruction with such other messages, but it is worth reminding ourselves that, while God gives and blesses, he also punishes and takes away.

Application:

Be holy.

It's easier said than done, but nothing is impossible with God. God is the one who gives us the ability to be holy, set apart for a higher purpose.

Prayer:

Lord, make me holy. Set me apart for your purpose and keep me clean. Allow me to seek after you, that others might see you in me and give you praise. Give me wisdom to comprehend your word and teach me to listen better, waiting on you, before acting.

Be with my wife. Equip her with the energy and enthusiasm she needs. 

Be with my classmate, as his new baby is due today.

Protect those serving you at home and abroad, that today, their witness would not be spoiled and that they would suffer no physical harm.

I love you and thank you

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment