Monday, October 5, 2015

5 October 2015

Scriptures:

  • Romans 1:18-32
  • Ezekiel 26
  • 1 Kings 1:1-27
  • Psalm 65
Observations:

The Romans passage is very much like the Ezekiel passages we've been seeing, wherein a people who starts off with evidence that God exists, yet turns away from God and, therefore, is given over to their depravity.
The Ezekiel passage prophesies the fall of Tyre in the siege of Nebuchadnezzar as punishment for Tyre's seeking of gain through Israel's fall. Looking at the prophesy and the history, I expected that Nebuchanezzar's siege would have sacked and ruined Tyre, but it only attacked the mainland half (which is the part mentioned) of Tyre, driving most everyone out and into the island half of the city. Alexander the Great brought Tyre to its eventual, complete demise.
In 1 Kings, we have David nearing his death. At this time, another of his sons decided to set himself up as the next king without David's knowledge. So, we see Nathan, the prophet, and Bathsheba, the mother of Solomon, who was supposed to be the next king, coming to bring this issue to David.
The psalm today is praising God for his goodness, his providence, and his might, describing how the earth itself gives praise to God.

Application:

The only application I see from these passages is another admonishment to be aware of my standing with God. Where do I stand? Am I indulging myself in illicit things, devoting myself to false idols, absorbing myself in the wrong ideas or uses of time?

I'm tired and becoming increasingly so. Medical school is excellent, but it takes so much out of me that I find myself cutting corners to get some time to myself. I need to use my time appropriately and effectively, if I want to make it anywhere.

Prayer:

God, give me wisdom. I know I have sinned in a number of ways, lust, anger, bitterness, and I need your forgiveness. I see myself beginning to enter a spiral of selfishness again and I don't want that to happen. Help me to be completely satisfied in you and to trust in you for my energy and strength each day. Let me not grow weary from the studies I should be engaged with and give me the motivation to use my time more responsibly. I cannot afford to be slack in any manner.

Be with my wife, too. Help her to encourage me in my studies and to not be disappointed, drained, or feel abandoned by my need to study and help me to know when to put the books away to best serve her.

Give my parents the wisdom they need for this moment. If there's any insight you wish to come from me, please show me.

Also, show my wife and I where you're planning for us to serve.

Bring my sister back to you, Lord.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment