Thursday, October 1, 2015

1 October 2015

Scriptures:

  • Luke 22:47-23:25
  • Ezekiel 22
  • 2 Samuel 21
  • Psalm 61
Observations:
  •  Ezekiel 22:30
In Luke, we have a couple of occurrences. First, is Peter's denial of Christ. Second, is the sham of a trial at the high priest's house. Third is the set of trials, one at Pilate's house, the other at Herod's, in which both rulers found Christ innocent and unworthy of death. Fourth is the crowd badgering Pilate to release Barabbas, an instigator and rebel, and to crucify Jesus.
In Ezekiel, we see God listing the sins of Jerusalem and explaining his judgment, before expounding on what his judgment would be. I found it interesting, though, how God said that if there were even just one righteous man who could stand before him, then the judgment would be forestalled, but there is none (v30).
In 2 Samuel, we see David tiring reaching old age. First he is entreating with the Lord to bring restoration to Israel and the first part of that, he was told, was to restore peace with the Gibeonites, whom Saul had broken oath with. Second, we see him growing weary with war and his men standing up for him, lest he fall.
The psalm today is one of David praising God and asking that he might remain in his presence.

Application:

Really, what stood out to me is the role of a righteous man. Not that I'm claiming to be righteous, but, through Christ, I am counted as such. We see throughout scripture the effect of righteous individuals in gaining God's ear and forestalling judgment and destruction. So, for me, I need to really live out the righteousness of Christ that is given to me and make a difference in the world around me.

Prayer:

Lord, help me to grow in righteousness. Thank you for this break before classes which I could use to spend time with you. Help me to minister to my wife, classmates, and the youth group as though they are being ministered to by you. Help me to act as you would act, speak as you would speak, and love as you would love.

Teach me more of your ways and bring me to overcome my sins, that I may glorify you more greatly in my less-sinfulness.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment