Tuesday, October 6, 2015

6 October 2015

Scriptures:

  • Romans 2:1-16
  • Ezekiel 27
  • 1 Kings 1:28-53
  • Psalm 66
Observations:

In the Romans passage, Paul is speaking to those who claim the law and judge others therefrom. Those who seek God will find him. Those who seek themselves will receive their just dues, for righteousness does not come from hearing or knowing the law, but from obeying it.
In Ezekiel, we see, once more, the downfall of Tyre, as the mercantile exploits of Tyre are recounted in exquisite detail, before its abrupt fall.
In 1 Kings, we see the actions of David and his council to Adonijah's presumption.
In the psalm today, we see the psalmist praising God for his might and deeds, for how he has taken Israel through many tribulations into a place of well-being. So, we see the psalmist promising a sacrifice to God out of the sheer joy and praise he has to offer to God.

Application:

Honesty, I really want the joy of the psalmist. To be able to step out and make a grand gesture of praise because I want to is awesome. 

Of course, there's nothing stopping me but myself and my thousand hangups.

What was that part in the Romans passage about seeking God genuinely? (Rom 2:14-15)

So, as one who knows God and knows the law, should not my life and praise be even more honouring to God?

Prayer:

Lord, my outward life needs work. Of course, that also means my inward life needs work. 

I don't want to be a hypocrite, proclaiming your greatness while not allowing it to impact my heart. Instead, Lord, permit your word and your love to impact my heart even more greatly than in the past, that, from the overflow of gratitude and love, my words and actions would speak of you, proclaiming your works to those around me.

Teach and allow me to trust you more deeply.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment