Thursday, January 7, 2016

7 January 2016 + Love Dare Day 34

Reading & Memorising Scripture

Scripture:

  • Romans 8:6
Observations:

This passage is in the middle of a segment in Romans discussing condemnation of sin in the flesh due to Christ's sacrifice and the victory of the law of the Spirit over the law of sin and death. Because of this, righteousness may now be attributed to us, not because we do good works, but because Christ himself was sinless, should we accept his sacrifice on his behalf. 

From the preceding to the following verses, Paul writes, 
"For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit. For to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace. For the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God, for it does not submit to God's law; indeed, it cannot. Those who are in the flesh cannot please God."
That is today's verse in its immediate context. What's nice is Paul later sets those who follow Christ, being indwelt by him, as dwelling in the Spirit.

Application:

From what I can see, the whole point of today's passage, even in its greater context, is to serve as an exhortation to set my mind on Christ, being a similar reminder to past days, but in different words. Something that does draw my eye, though is that last sentence. I am guilty of trying to please God from my flesh, of trying to do enough good to be counted righteous pr trying to control my own sin instead of relying on God.

For me, what I need to do is to set my mind on Christ, not my own ability, and let God take over the battle for me.

~ ~ ~

The Love Dare
Day 34: Love Celebrates Godliness

"You are one of the most influential people in your spouse’s life. Have you been using your influence to lead them to honor God, or to dishonor Him?"
This is a very good question and one which I am turning into a "Yes". I don't lead the most effectively or efficiently, but I am and have been making intentional time spent together in prayer a priority as well as encouraging my wife in her own devotional time while taking the effort to do my quiet time at home in the mornings before getting ready for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment