Sunday, January 3, 2016

3 January 2016 + Love Dare Day 30

Reading & Memorising Scripture

Scripture:

  • Proverbs 5:18-20
Observations:

The first two verses here are a powerful exhortation that couldn't have come on a better day. Today, in this verse, I am encouraged to hold on to my wife and to exult in her beauty and pleasure in her always. There is passion here - look at the writer's choice of words:
"Let your fountain be blessed,    and rejoice in the wife of your youth,   a lovely deer, a graceful doe.Let her breasts fill you at all times with delight;   be intoxicated always in her love."
These are no pithy words (and frankly, they're somewhat erotic, but hey, God is the author of love).

The writer encourages us men to be intoxicated, drunk, on our wives, filled to a stupour with our love for her. We are to be so blessed by her, rejoicing in her to such great delight that we are like those dunk on wine when we consider our wives.

From there, then, comes the loaded question: with such great, intoxicating love for your wife, why would you go seek it somewhere else?
"Why should you be intoxicated, my son, with a forbidden woman   and embrace the bosom of an adulteress?"
The wisdom of God is to rejoice and exult in our wives. Sometimes that's not easy, but every day it is our choice. We choose how we respond to her. Do I complain about her dragon breath in the morning? How do I consider her requests? Are they nagging to me or am I listening deeper to hear her heart? These are examples of how we can consciously love our wives. Give your ability to love over to God and watch him do some amazing work.

Application:

God, today, I rejoice and thank you. I reflect on this verse and I see its truth. You, oh Lord, have given me a wife who is fearfully and wonderfully made and in her I am making the choice to be not only satisfied, but filled. Help me daily, to continue making this choice, turning away from the tawdry mimicries of the world and feasting myself on things of you, my wife included.

~ ~ ~

The Love Dare
Day 30:  Love Brings Unity

Today, the authors are speaking about the unity of the Trinity, God the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, how they are one in nature, purpose, spirit, etc. They're also talking about how marriage has an opportunity to reflect that.
"Husband – What would happen in your marriage if you devoted yourself to loving, honoring, and serving your wife in all things? What if you determined that the preservation of your oneness with this woman was worth every sacrifice and expression of love you could make? What would change in your home if you took that approach to your relationship on a daily basis?"
I and my wife are as one flesh before God. It's about time I really started acting like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment