Tuesday, December 29, 2015

29 December 2015 + Love Dare Day 25

Reading & Memorising Scripture

Scripture:

  • Galatians 5:17
Observations:

This is a very true statement, so much so that it seems obvious, but that, of course, is because I've grown up in Christianity.

One of the key concepts in Christianity is the process of sanctification. When someone becomes a Christian, they are considered "saved". "Saved" however, is a complex concept, describing the rescuing of the individual from sin. The manner by which that is effected, however, is broken into three parts:
  • Justification - The immediate removal our bondage to sin and punishment due thereunto
  • Sanctification - The progressive work of the Holy Spirit moulding us in Christ's likeness
  • Glorification - The final removal of sin in its entirety in eternity
So, if someone were to ask a theologian whether he or she was saved, that person might answer, saying "Yes, partially, and no," and be perfectly correct.

What this passage is talking about is the dichotomy of flesh vs Spirit, or our old, sinful nature vs our new, Christlike nature. It is talking about the process of sanctification in which we wage war against our sinful desires which keep us from drawing closer to God. It is a reminder that the urges of the flesh are opposed to the spirit.

Now, I must make a distinction between fleshly and bodily urges. Bodily urges, such as the need for food and drink, sexual desire, tiredness/sleepiness, the need to use the bathroom, these are all normal, good things. Fleshly desires are those which run contrary to God, such as gluttony, lust, acting on sexual desires outside of marriage, laziness, etc.

So, we must be aware of these fleshly desires if we are to continue growing in Christlikeness, that we can identify and deny them, that they would not stunt our growth and development.

Application:

I need to check my motivations for what I do. Am I going on Facebook to use it to communicate or will I simply be scrolling aimlessly, setting myself up for temptation? What books am I reading? What movies am I watching? Am I doing things that, although they may fall into grey areas, would weaken me to resist temptation? Am I doing things that bypass the grey area and function as a gateway?

I need to act and interact with wisdom and discernment.

~ ~ ~

The Love Dare
Day 25: Love Forgives

"[F]orgiveness doesn’t absolve anyone of blame.  It doesn’t clear their record with God.  It just clears you of having to worry about how to punish them.  When you forgive another person, you’re not turning them loose.  You’re just turning them over to God, who can be counted on to deal with them His way."
Forgiveness is one thing I have been taught to do from a young age, so it's sometimes something I take for granted. It's a very powerful act, forgiveness, for the above reason. It's basically saying to the person you're forgiving that you're no longer burdening yourself over the hurt they've done to you and have set yourself free to restoration and growth. It's arguably the most hopeful thing that can be given to a repentant offender (I speak as one).

No comments:

Post a Comment