Monday, December 28, 2015

28 December 2015 + Love Dare Day 24

Reading & Memorising Scripture

Scripture:

  • 1 Corinthians 6:13
Observations:

This passage is in the beginning of a segment in 1 Corinthians in which Paul is making an argument against sexual immorality. Starting in verse 12, we see him addressing common arguments used by the Corinthians to justify their behaviours:
  • "All things are lawful for me" - Not all things are helpful and I will not be dominated by anything.
  • "Food is meant for the stomach and the stomach for food" - God will destroy them both in their time
The Corinthians were using arguments common to today, used even by Christians. They were using God's grace and forgiveness (See Romans), political legality, and the apparent, "necessary" nature of sexual desire (described as akin to physical hunger) to justify acting out in sexual sin. Listen to Paul's response, though:
"The body is not meant for sexual immorality, but for the Lord, and the Lord for the body."
Paul is pointing the Church back to God here. We are intended to honour and revere God. So, while all things may be lawful or permissible, are we fulfilling our purpose of honouring God? Has God given us a means of gratifying our sexual needs that also honours him? The answer to the second is yes, through marriage. The answer to the first, though, depends on the individual and requires some introspection. For me, my answer would be "No". I could squirrel away details and say that I am doing better about honouring God than I was, but regardless, I'm still not perfect. At the end of the day, in a black-and-white, yes/no scenario, my answer will always be "No".

I am not perfect. God, in his holiness, demands a "Yes" for us to be fit to even enter his presence, but because of my sin, my imperfection, I will always be short of  "Yes". This is where the grace of  God comes in. Because God loves us, God reached out in his mercy to provide a means, through perfect fulfillment of the law he had established, for a "Yes" to be credited to us. That's the beauty of the cross. Jesus Christ, in his perfection, in his manhood, and in his Godhood, voluntarily took the burden of our imperfections and endured the punishment required, that he may stand on our behalf as our advocate and credit us with his "Yes".

This understanding leads Paul to really hammer home his point on sexual immorality later in this passage as he exhorts us to glorify God in our bodies. How, then, can we continue in our sin, in the light of such great mercy?

Application:

To trust in the power of God to overcome my sin and to cease, from my side, engaging in sin. I must be firm and resolute against my sin, but I cannot begin to believe I can do it all on my own. True obedience will only ever come from a genuine desire and love for God.

~ ~ ~
The Love Dare
Day 24: Love vs. Lust

"So we set our eyes and hearts on seeking worldly pleasure.  We try to meet legitimate needs in illegitimate ways. ...We try to be discreet but barely turn our eyes away.  And once our eyes are capture by curiosity, our hearts become entangled. ... Our hearts are deceived into saying, 'I could be happy if I only had this.'"
The authors started off acknowledging that God has provided for all of our needs and many of our desires, that we should want for nothing. I like the definition the authors give for lust, that is is setting our hearts and passions on something forbidden, like a coworker, an actress, or even a new sports car. It tempts us to seek the satisfaction we should find in God in these other things. When ever did a new car completely satisfy you? When did an affair ever meet the totality of your needs? They don't. They can't, and yet we buy into the lie that they can like a fish does a lure.

Lust is an ever-growing emptiness, calling for more and greater things to fill its hunger as it draws us further and further from the one thing that can truly satisfy us.
"Are you tired of being lied to by lust?  Are you fed up with believing that forbidden pleasures are able to keep you happy and content?  Then begin setting your eyes on the Word of God.  Let His promises of peace and freedom work their way into your heart. ... And while you’re at it, set your eyes and heart on your spouse again."

No comments:

Post a Comment