Thursday, August 27, 2015

27 August 2015

Scriptures:

  • 2 Peter 1:12-21
  • Lamentations 5
  • 1 Samuel 14
  • Psalm 25
Observations:

In 2 Peter, we see the apostle writing to show that what he is telling them is not some man-made myth, but something he and many others saw with their own eyes. In Lamentations, we see Jeremiah writing of Jerusalem as it stood then, in its disgrace from sin, asking when the Lord will return his favour and restoration. In 1 Samuel, we see an interesting story. We see a young man who trusts in God, relies on his strength, and a king who made a rash movement. Jonathan went on a solo foray into a Philistine encampment and, with God's help, began laying waste. Saul, seeing the commotion had the army rush in after him, but also to take an oath not to eat until the Philistines were finished. Jonathan, not knowing of the oath ate, but, what is greater, because of their great hunger, when the Israelites were finally able to eat, they tore into the livestock that were the spoils of war and ate them "with the blood," something they were commanded not to do in the Levitical law. The psalm today is one of entrusting oneself to God. It speaks of drawing near to God and receiving from him, knowledge, pardon, friendship, and consideration as the psalmist comes in humility and honesty about his own situation, seeking God.

Honestly, what stands out to me from all of these passages, is the faith and trust that Jonathan had in God, seeking to honour God in his foray, only attacking on his signal.


Jonathan said to the young man who carried his armor, "Come, let us go over to the garrison of these uncircumcised. It may be that the LORD will work for us, for nothing can hinder the LORD from saving by many or by few." And his armor-bearer said to him, "Do all that is in your heart. Do as you wish. Behold, I am with you heart and soul." Then Jonathan said, "Behold, we will cross over to the men, and we will show ourselves to them. If they say to us, 'Wait until we come to you,' then we will stand still in our place, and we will not go up to them. But if they say, 'Come up to us,' then we will go up, for the LORD has given them into our hand. And this shall be the sign to us." - 1 Samuel 14:6-10
Application:

I want the heart that Jonathan had, that had an understanding and certainty of God. He is one who entrusted himself to God, as the psalmist wrote about, and grew in his knowledge of God. What we believe and who we believe in is nothing fake and, as we can see in Lamentations, there are consequences for not trusting in God, but what I really desire is for that heart that is so deeply rooted in Christ that it has a certainty of God. This is no laissez-faire regard, but a knowing that comes of having spent much time with God.

Prayer:

Lord, I give you myself. Mold me in the way you desire, that I would be fully prepared for the work you have appointed me to complete. Give me a heart that is confident in you. Grow me in the knowledge of you and in your humility.

I thank you for how you have worked in my life and  have granted me opportunities to serve you and to know you. I thank you for how you have grown my marriage, even in this short time and I thank you for my wife, who is a blessing to me. 

As I prepare for school and she for work, I ask for your blessing on us both.

Forgive me my sins and give me the strength to face temptatio today. Give me victory over sin, that I may point to you and give you glory.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment