Wednesday, August 26, 2015

26 August 2015

Scriptures:

  • 2 Peter 1:1-11
  • Lamentations 4
  • 1 Samuel 13
  • Psalm 24
Observations:
  • 2 Peter 1:5-7
  • Psalm 24:3-4
In 2 Peter, we see peter outlining what maturity in Christ looks like as it progresses. In Lamentations, conversely, we see the description of a people who were once God-honouring, but now have turned their own way. In 1 Samuel, we see the moment of Saul's fall: in his haste, he did not wait for Samuel to come to seek God, but impatiently attempted to perform the necessary sacrifices himself, even though he was no Levite, appointed to intercede between God and Israel, going in direct, although well-intentioned, contravention of the law. The psalm today asks who shall be able to come forward to the Lord, the king of glory and lord of hosts, responding that he who has clean hands and a pure heart.

We see today a contrast. In 2 Peter and the psalm, we have the imagery of coming to God, who may come to God, and how we do so. In Lamentations and 1 Samuel, we see what disobedience is and the effects thereof. In fact, I want to write out two passages:

"5 For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love." - 2 Peter 1:5-7
"Who shall ascend the hill of the LORD? And who shall stand in his holy place?
He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false and does not swear deceitfully." - Psalm 24:3-4
Application:

To me, I think it's rather obvious. We're continuing the theme of clinging to God, but today, we're shown what some of that looks like. We're shown also, how easy it is to fall and the effects of falling.

So, the application is to add to my faith in all the ways outlined above, to not seek to honour what is false, but to seek cleanness of thought, action, and spirit.

Prayer:

Lord, I need quite a bit of work. I'm nowhere near perfect, but I am seeking the clean hands and heart that come from you. Lord, help me to grow in righteousness, that I may approach you and that my offerings would be honouring to you. Teach me your ways daily and give me opportunity t show you to those around me.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment