Tuesday, August 25, 2015

25 August 2015

Scriptures:

  • 1 Peter 5
  • Lamentations 3
  • 1 Samuel 12
  • Psalm 23
Observations:
  • Lam 3:22-23
In this final chapter of 1 Peter, we see him exhorting the elders to shepherd the church wisely; we see him cautioning the younger towards humility; and we see him encouraging both to be sober-minded and firm in their faith, as the devil is a ready adversary. In Lamentations, what stands out to me is the first half of this chapter, in which Jeremiah writes that he is so overwhelmed and distraught with grief over the punishment of God, but then he changes tone and praises God for his love and constancy, even through punishment. In 1 Samuel, we have Samuel's speech at the transition of government from the judges to a king. What is notable is how Samuel rebukes Israel for seeking a human king instead of being content with God's kingship and how he encourages them to keep after God - if they continue to follow him, things will go well. If they disobey him, things will not go as well. The psalm is one praising God for his faithfulness and care.

Application:

Really, I see an exhortation through all of this to cling to God. We see God, here, as constant, faithful, a good shepherd, and loving. We see exhortations directly to cleave to God and encouragement to stand firm in our faith. I cannot stress this more. Cling to God and, though you may face trials, hardship, punishment, God will still be God. He will still be present, able to help, and willing. He will still lead you through to his table. He will still provide the best for you out of the hard times.

Prayer:

Lord, help me to cling to you. I thank you for the reminder to never forsake you, to stand firm in you and I ask for the wisdom and discipline to do so.

Help me in my daily life to live out your ways. Help me to show Christlikeness in my marriage. Help me in my daily struggles against the temptations and sins that come my way.

Forgive me of the sins I have already committed and thank you for the ability to come directly to you.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment