Sunday, August 27, 2017

27 Aug 2017 - Are You a Better Christian Today than Yesterday?

A Practicing Christian: Ch 1 - Are You a Better Christian Today than Yesterday?

I really do need to be asking myself that question on a more consistent basis. I mean, for someone who has made "In Studio Excellentiae" his personal motto, not taking the time to daily see whether I have improved and grown and, if I have not, in what ways I can improve, seems very short-sighted. This is definitely a question I need to incorporate into my daily walk. Honestly, turning it into a nightly prayer isn't a bad idea - more prayer is never a bad thing.

Questions:

  1. How do you view yourself in light of Romans 3:23?
    1. Honestly, I see my sins in terms of being short-tempered, inconsistent, easily irritated, and needy for attention.
  2. Recently, what steps have you taken to become more like Jesus?
    1. Nothing, really, in the last week.
  3. What steps do you need to take?
    1. First, I need to step up the consistency in spending time with God, reading the word and praying. Second, I need to be more proactive in outwardly living the Gospel, particularly the Great Commission. Third, I definitely need to be listening more for the direction of the Holy Spirit and acting accordingly
1 Timothy 1:1-11

"These promote empty speculations rather than God's plan, which operates by faith. Now, the goal of our instruction is love that comes from a pure heart, a good conscience, and a sincere faith. Some have deviated from these and have turned to fruitless discussion" -vv. 4b-6

Could these verses apply to discussions and debates of higher theology? Granted, good theology can lead to love coming from a pure heart, good conscience, and sincere faith ("For we know that the law is good, provided one uses it legitimately." - v. 8) just as bad theology can lead to a warped image of God and Christianity, but what I'm wondering is whether or not it's useful and purposeful to get lost in debates of theological minutiae, like precisely when the rapture will happen. I am reminded of a friend's Facebook post commenting on how, for many, the academic pursuit of the knowledge of God replaces the relational pursuit of the person of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment