Tuesday, September 8, 2015

8 September 2015

Scriptures:

  • Luke 6:17-49
  • Daniel 9
  • 1 Samuel 28
  • Psalm 37
Observations:
  • Luke 6:30  
Reading from Luke, it looks to be a similar transcription of the sermon on the mount. What stood out to me were two things: firstly, the above verse, which says "Give to all who beg of you," (which every South African probably is convicted by) and that the passage as a whole really is talking about the quality of a Christian's life, what it looks like, and how it should be lived. The Daniel passage has him crying out to God, acknowledging the sins of his people against God and God sending an answer to him regarding the rebuilding and fall of the temple in Jerusalem and Jerusalem itself. This prophecy, some think, alludes to the first coming of Christ and the sacking of Jerusalem by the Romans. The 1 Samuel passage is the oft-retold story of Saul and the medium at Endor, where Saul, abandoned by God and afraid of the Philistines, sought a medium to speak with the deceased Samuel, who proclaimed his death and the death of his sons in the upcoming battle. The Psalm speaks of the Lord's defense of those who rely on him.

To me, what really stood out off all of these passages was Luke 6:30. I know I'm usually guilty of turning aside those begging and asking something of me. I know I have become callous to those around me.

Application:

Really, It all flows. Live more like Christ - embody the lifestyle presented in Luke 6. In doing so, we find ourselves not needing to worry about the Lord's rejection, as Saul did and the psalmist didn't.

Prayer:

Lord, help me to embody you more in my life. Help me to better show faith, hope, and love in my life, that those who see me notice that, frankly, I am not acting like a typical person and see that it it truly you acting through me, your likeness dwelling within me that leads me to move accordingly.

Thank you for the smooth move and I ask that you would help my wife and I unpack quickly and get the small details all squared away, so that we can return to a more normal pattern of life. Give her strength to endure today, as she works through both jobs today. Help us both to display you to our new neighbours.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment