Friday, September 11, 2015

11 September 2015

Scriptures:

  • Luke 8:4-21
  • Daniel 12
  • 2 Samuel 1
  • Psalm 40
Observations:

In the Luke passage today, we have the parable of the sower. Daniel culminates the book with a hopeful end to the prophecy from the last chapter. Again, there is some discrepancy as to when the days numbered apply,  but Antiochus seems a good candidate for immediate fulfillment. In 2 Samuel, we see David receiving news of the death of Saul and his line. What is interesting, what sets David apart from most other rulers is he did not seize upon the crown as it was presented to him, or reward the news-bearer who struck Saul's final blow, but punished the man who killed Saul and had Israel mourn for him as befits a king. This mourning and grief for a king who tried to kill you, whom God abandoned at your own anointing, who sat on the throne when you could and should have been king speaks volumes about David's character and the qualities God desires. The psalm today is praising God for the fact that he listens. The psalmist practically boasts in God, while lavishing his attention and praise upon him as well.

Application:

Keeping in mind the psalm and the Luke passage, I see that it's important to remember the line of communication we have with God and that it's important to check my own life - to make sure I am growing in good soil and not choking myself out with the world's weeds. Even things that may seem praiseworthy - like carrying the message that you have killed off the previous king to the new king - can turn out to be destructive, because of how it may turn out to have acted against the will of God.

Prayer:

Lord, thank you that I can come to you in prayer at any time. Help me to depend greater upon you. Help build around me good soil ad help me to avoid various weeds that may interfere with my growth. 

God, I'll be honest here: I need you. I'm feeling pretty drained and empty this morning and I need you to fill me up and give me the energy to face today. I need that fire burning in my heart today that seeks to honour you.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment