Thursday, September 24, 2015

24 September 2015

Scriptures:

  • Luke 17:11-37
  • Ezekiel 14-15
  • 2 Samuel 14:1-24
  • Psalm 54
Observations:

In the Luke passage, we see two teachable moments. The first is the case of Jesus healing the 10 lepers, with only the one, a Samaritan coming back to thank him. The second is Jesus talking about his returning, how it will be sudden and unexpected.
The Ezekiel passage is largely about punishment for those of Israel. It's a large edict against those who worship false idols, but come to the prophets for a word from God.
In the 2 Samuel passage, we see some of the beginnings of the strife with Absalom and how David ha to be shown what was going on.
In the psalm, we see David praising God for his upkeep and constant attention.

Application:

Honestly, I'm having a hard time putting everything together - I'm definitely a little - lotta - bit distracted. (no more quiet times in the lecture room before lectures begin) We have lessons in gratitude, preparedness, idolatry, intra-familial strife, and praise. 

There are a couple things, though, worth highlighting. The Ezekiel passage was talking specifically about coming before God with an idolater's heart. Similarly, we need to check our own hearts every time we come to God. Where do our priorities lie? Our work? Our finances? Our relationships? These things can also become idols. 

Funnily enough, this also plays into preparedness - are you ready for Christ to return? Are you engaged in the work he's given? Where is your heart - if he returned now, in what situation would you find yourself, the one taken or the one left?

Playing into the idea of preparedness, are we acknowledging God at all? Let us start with an attitude of gladness, of gratitude to God for the salvation he's given, never once taking anything for granted. From this base of gratitude, we can see all things flow, preparedness, denial of idolatry, even the manners by which we praise God and handle troubling affairs.

Prayer:

Lord, help me to have a heart of gratitude. Teach me to be cognisant of the work you did and the pain you endured to bring about my salvation. Let me not put anything before you in my heart and help me to be prepared for your coming - show me the work I need to be doing and help me in its performance.

Teach me to be a better student, husband, and youth leader. Help cover my deficits and make a glorious whole of my brokenness.

Give wisdom to my parents as they make their decision. Give grace to my sister - you know her situation better than I. Give endurance to both my brothers - one for his test, one for his cast. Give patience to my wife as she has to put up with me and my foibles.

I thank you and praise you for your nature and character.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment