Monday, September 21, 2015

21 September 2015

Scriptures:

  • Luke 14
  • Ezekiel 11:14-25
  • 2 Samuel 11
  • Psalm 51
Observations:

In the Luke passage, we see a collection of smaller teachings of Christ in two separate instances.
In Ezekiel, we see God promise a restoration of Israel from those scattered in disparate reaches, gathering them together in one spirit and renewing their hearts. However, those still desiring rebellion will not regain what was lost.
In 2 Samuel, we see David's fall as he had an affair with Bathsheba and arranged for her husband, one of his best warriors, to be killed in an attempt to cover it up.
The psalm today, coincidentally, is David's psalm to God after the Bathsheba incident. We see him praying up to God, asking for forgiveness and restoration of heart.

Application:

I really kinda see an element of Our sin, God's response, Our contrition, and God's restoration.

Our sin: We regularly sin against God, disobeying his commands and turning from him.
God's response: We deserve punishment, that is, death, for our offence.
Our contrition: God allows us to come to him in a state of brokenness, acknowledging our sin and asking forgiveness
God's restoration: Through Christ, our sins are atoned for, should we accept the sacrifice.

It's just a very good reminder of what our attitude should be towards our sin.

Prayer:

Lord, I am a sinner. My sins are present before me even now, as I sit trying to spend time with you. My various temptations, lusts, and sins are echoing through my head, as I am trying to pray. Help me to press onwards towards you, to overcome my sins. Give me the heart of humble contrition instead of resigned numbness. I want to honour you, but so often I feel like I am not.

Strengthen my wife today, as she works through both jobs and my parents as they try to make a wise decision that honours you.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment