Tuesday, January 26, 2016

26 January 2016

Scriptures:

  • Psalm 25
  • Genesis 24
  • 1 Chronicles 29:1-22
  • Luke 17:11-37
Observations:

In the psalm, we see David seeking God's presence. He is entrusting himself to God, putting himself under the Lord's grace and teaching. Here, we see a calm, spiritual maturity that longs for the presence of God, as we can see in vv 16-18
"Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted.The troubles of my heart are enlarged; bring me out of my distresses.Consider my affliction and my trouble, and forgive all my sins."
 Okay, so David is very expressive in his tone, but the tone I get as I read this psalm is one of wise spiritual maturity that yearns for God, not quite as some distant salvation, but as a companion and teacher who has stepped away for a moment.

In Genesis, we see the finding of Rebekah, Isaac's wife. Abraham desired that Isaac not marry one of the local Canaanites, but someone from his home. So, his servant went to Abraham's home town, whereupon he prayed, asking for a specific sign to indicate Isaac's wife. God obliged and Isaac was found a wife.

In 1 Chronicles, we see David announcing what he has stored up for use in building the temple, calling for a freewill offering from many of the citizens. We also see him praying over the building of the temple, asking for God's blessing, and offering sacrifices to God numbering in the thousands.

In Luke, we see first, the healing of ten lepers, of whom only one, a Samaritan, came back to thank Jesus.
Second, we see Jesus teaching on the coming of the kingdom of God. In response to the pharisees' question, Jesus says that it sill come in a way not discernible to the eye, because the Kingdom of God is in their midst (Presumably speaking of himself). To his disciples, he elaborated on this point further, telling them to disregard those who might point to the coming of God at a particular time or place. He also says that, instead, people will be about their normal, everyday business when, suddenly, as with Noah's flood or Sodom's destruction, the Kingdom of God will come.

Application:

The kingdom of god could come at any time. Therefore, I need to be busy with the work given to me. That being said, I also want to grow in spiritual maturity, having the perspective and demeanour of David in his deep relationship with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment