Saturday, November 28, 2015

28 November 2015 + Love Dare Day 1

Prayer

  1. Confession
Scripture:
  • Mark 7:20-23
Observations:

The passage here is talking about defilement in the greater context - can what a person takes in defile them? Jesus is directing his point to the Pharisees who had become obsesses with the minutiae of the laws, performing all the outward works necessary in order to become "clean" by their reckoning.

What Jesus is saying is that defilement comes from within. It's not something that we put on and neither is it removed by outward things we do. Therefore it is only something that can be changed by treating the heart, by asking God to renew our hearts.

Application:

When asking for God's forgiveness and seeking repentance, if we want any kind of true change, we need to address the heart. Any other change is like whitewashing over cracks - the foundation damage is still present and the cracks will continue to get worse. Only by rebuilding the foundation on what is true and right will repair the cracks.

Prayer:

Lord, I see a number of heart issues that need working on in myself: hedonism, self-obsession, turning my heart away from my wife, seeking emotional connection in everyone/-thing around me, not investing myself in my wife and how to love her.

Talking with her, it seems she needs a more outward display of the change you're working in me, Lord. I just don't know how to show it. Help me to meet her where she is and encourage her to hold on to you as you'e working in me.


~   ~   ~
The Love Dare
Day 1: Patience

This is one in which I find myself slowly lacking. I consider myself a patient person, but in recent weeks, I've found my patience wearing thinner and thinner towards my wife.

Prayer:

Lord, help me to increase in patience towards my wife. Help her to see that I love her and am taking steps to love her better. Through patience today, help me to break down some walls that have been built up during this last week. Help me to understand her and to meet her where she is.

No comments:

Post a Comment