Thursday, November 12, 2015

12 November 2015

Scriptures:

  • John 6:22-71
  • Malachi 3:13-4:6
  • 2 Kings 12
  • Psalm 103
Observations:

In John, we start off after the feeding of 5000 and Jesus walking on the water. Jesus is across the sea of Galilee and the masses make their way around to him, whereupon he rebukes them, knowing they came primarily for the food. Here, Jesus presents himself as the bread of life, given by God, just as manna was given to the Israelite out of Egypt. Of course, in saying he came down from heaven, he set some of the crowd grumbling, but he speaks plainly, saying that God is the one who gives wisdom and understanding to come to Christ, speaking unsurprisedly about the ones who turned and left.

In Malachi, we see God addressing the issue that those who follow him do not fare as well as those who are unrighteous. His response, being that in the last days, he would separate the righteous and unrighteous, rewarding the former and punishing the latter. He also promises to send a prophet before he comes.

In 2 Kings, we finally see details about Jehoash. He was a godly king. Not perfect, but he tried to follow after the Lord. He didn't remove the false temples, but he did try to get the ball rolling on the repairs to Solomon's temple. Sadly, he gave away all of the treasures in the temple as tribute to Hazael, that he would not come and attacks Jerusalem.

The psalm today is one of praise to God, who satisfies and heals, who brings righteousness and justice, who is slow to anger and rich in love. His love never ends and knows no bounds. He removes our sins from us and casts them far away. In light of all of this, David is praising God.

Application:

I don't see much new that I can apply to myself, but I see a fair number of reminders.

In John, I have the reminder that Christ is the giver of life and the sole way to heaven.

In Malachi, I am reminded that, though I may face hardship and injustice now, there will be a final judgment in which the righteous will receive their reward and the unrighteous, their punishment.

In 2 Kings, I am reminded to serve as best as I can, that even though I may make some foolish mistakes or oversights, I am still counted godly because of where my heart lies.

In the psalm, I am reminded to praise God for who he is and what he's done.

Prayer

No comments:

Post a Comment