Friday, October 30, 2015

30 October 2015

Scriptures:

  • James 3:13-18
  • Zechariah 3
  • 1 Kings 22:1-40
  • Psalm 90
Observations:

James homes in on the idea of wisdom in this passage, stating that the wise will show their wisdom through their works and the manner of working. Acting of jealousy or ambition, boasting in one's wisdom is not wisdom, but is base, earthly and unspiritual. James describes wisdom as pure, gentle, reasonable, merciful, fruitful, impartial, and sincere. Similarly to how Paul talks about the fruit of the Spirit by which we will know true believers in Galatians, James is talking about the fruit of wisdom.

In Zechariah, we see a vision given to the prophet in which the high priest, Joshua, is ordained by God. During this vision, God also makes reference to Jesus (the Branch) and the coming day of salvation.

In 1 Kings, we see the death of Ahab. We see Ahab making a wartime alliance with Judah, the various court prophets prophesying victory, while the one prophet of God, brought in at the request of the king of Judah prophesied their downfall, saying that God had sent the false prophecies of success to bait Ahab into his death. So, at the battle, Ahab wore a charioteer's armour while Jehoshaphat wore his and Ahab was killed by a stray arrow.

The psalm today is a prayer of Moses. It seems to be an intercessory prayer on behalf of Israel. He comes to God, speaking of how God has worked with Israel in the past, before praising God's might and displaying man's frailness. He admits their sin and acknowledges God's judgeship. He closes asking or mercy, that the Lord's favour would be upon Israel. Reading this passage, you get a real sense of Moses prostrating himself before God, praying this. There is a great understanding of and respect for God and his power. 

Application:

First, I could definitely apply Moses' perspective of God to my life. I could definitely use a greater view of God in his promises, his faithful history, his works, his majesty and glory and power, his judgment, and my weakness. Perhaps I view God too lightly because I know he loves me and sacrificed himself for me. Perhaps I have this whole Old Testament-New Testament dichotomy going on with regards to God's character, but Moses' perspective is a stern reminder of the gravity of coming before God.

Second, as Solomon writes, "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom." Wisdom is something I greatly desire. This is part of why a correct view of God is so important. That and I have a lot of work in  myself to undertake. I'm forgetful; I fail at following up; and I take on many things too rashly. I'm impulsive - quick to speak and slow to think. I'm oblivious of others, particularly of others' feelings. I'm not saying all of these things have to be perfect before I am wise, but these are hindrances, preventing what wisdom I have, what little I have asked for and has been granted me, from being effective.

Prayer:

<Not typed up today>

No comments:

Post a Comment