Wednesday, September 16, 2015

16 September 2015

Scriptures:

  • Luke 11:1-36
  • Ezekiel 6
  • 2 Samuel 6
  • Psalm 46
Observations:
  • Luke 11:13
  • Luke 11:34
The Luke passage today is a collection of small encounters, but the two passages listed above stood out to me. Part of it is because there is a very real, palpable spiritual struggle going on that I am battling. The other part, well, one is a word of hope that we, though we are sinful know how to give good things, so how much more would God, who is perfectly good be able to do so, and the other is a caution and warning to remain spiritually healthy, to not allow your spiritual eyes to become occluded. This is something that I am reminded of today, as I attempt new strategies to not simply run from sin, but to engage it and move past it, relying on God to see me through. These strategies, I am coming to realise will and do put me in the line of fire, so there is ever more reason to carry with me the shield of faith.
In Ezekiel 6, we see the results of generations of sinfulness, of increasingly hardened hearts and occluded eyes. 
Incidentally, in 2 Samuel, we see both a hardened heart and a tender heart. David, brought the ark into Jerusalem with singing and dancing, himself leading the throng. Michal, his wife, however, scorned David for his self-abasement, not recognising his worship of God and was never blessed with any children throughout her marriage.
In the psalm, we see praise given to God for his strength, refuge, and victorious nature - something that is always good to remain mindful of.

Application:

Well, I need to keep my eyes on God, keep in God's word, first of all. Secondly, I have the reminder from the psalm of God's victoriousness. As I engage in warfare, I can and should be confident of God, just as I should be spending time with him daily and throughout the day to be equiped to wage war. I see the example of Michal and the punishment of Jerusalem and recognise that I want my sin to be relieved from me, that I would not be weighed down by my sins, to risk falling back into them, but I desire freedom.

Prayer:

Lord, thank you for your victory. Thank you for the strength you provide.

As I engage more seriously in spiritual warfare against my own sins, I ask for wisdom and insight into the deep-seated causes, facilitators, and enablers of my sin. Enable me to more effectively combat my temptations by pressing onward towards you, not focusing on myself, cowering behind your forgiveness. Help me to face my temptations and quell them instead of running, but let me do so with wisdom, not by simply allowing myself to gratify the temptation as a means of desensitising or deflating the temptation, but the rather see the temptation, acknowledge it, and rebuke it. I'm still trying to decipher what this means in practice anyways, but give me wisdom.

Grant my wife patience as well. This is likely to be a long process and trying to her. Help her to persevere with both jobs and to be able to serve you. Give her opportunities to connect better within the church and to engage in ministries tailored to the skills you have given her.

Be with my parents, Lord. Grant them the wisdom about their future. Do they stay overseas or return to the USA? Do they remain with their senders or become independents? These are answers they need to questions that feature very prominently right now.

Be with my sister, Lord, as she's engaging in choices that do not reflect you or truly honour you. Help her to find the stable root in you that she's been without.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment